Is your last set giving you a headache because there are significant volume differences between the songs? Learn mastering a dj mix for a competitive sound.
Don't worry; DJ Set Mastering ensures a pleasant listening experience for your listeners and gives your mixtape a lot of punch and power. Even if something went wrong with your last recording in the club.
After Mixing Songs together, Mastering is the solution that your mix doesn't get lost in the crowd due to low volume.
It doesn't matter if you mix your songs on vinyl, turntables, CDJs, Traktor, Serato, or as a live set.
No matter if on Soundcloud, Youtube or Mixcloud. After DJ mixtape mastering, your set will sound balanced and powerful on all streaming platforms.
How to master a DJ Mix
Your Guide: Learn how to master a DJ Mix.
- First, the frequency response is roughly adjusted with a mastering eq. So that the low frequencies and the high frequencies sound balanced.
- Then your songs' dynamics are adjusted with a mastering compressor's help. This optimizes your DJ set's quiet and extremely loud parts. This is also called "Glue Compression" to make all the songs sound a bit nicer to each other and more condensed.
- Since the volume between the individual songs can sound very different, or only some songs have too much bass or too loud hi-hats, I often use a multiband compressor or a dynamic equalizer. This way, I can get the bass range under control. Or the equalizer intervenes in the case only if individual parts of a song sound too harsh.
- I also bring the stereo image under control and try to give your set a 3D feel. So that the mix has a nice width but is mono-compatible.
- Last but not least, your mix gets a slight warm analog saturation so that the whole set appears as if it was cast in one piece.
- After that, a lowcut filter between 20 and 30hz is applied to remove extreme low frequencies.
- The final step is a clipper and mastering limiter. To achieve the desired volume between -8 and -11Lufs. Optimally, the limiter works only very lightly to not overprocess the sound.
Why you need a DJ Mix Mastering?
Since most DJ sets and Mixtapes are published via Soundcloud, but Soundcloud does not automatically adjust the volume, it makes sense to optimize your set.
You should master a DJ mix if you want continuity between the tracks and avoid distorted audio material when converting after upload.
Was your recording too quiet at your last live gig? Or were your settings on the DJ mixer not optimal? Especially when working with the EQ, it can come to unwanted dynamic differences in the transitions between the songs. These deficiencies are eliminated by polishing up your mix. After mastering, your mix will shine, and your set will sound balanced.
Also, if you mix digital songs and songs pressed on vinyl, the sound can already sound very different. Especially in the bass range and in the high frequencies, fine-tuning is often missing.
A significant imbalance between the songs can also occur if you include different genres of music in your set or play your own music productions.
Sure the songs you play are usually already mastered. But when you mix 2 songs together, it messes up the EQ curve. DJ mix mastering is really about subtly matching the songs.
It is essential that you don't record your mix too loud. If there is distortion or clipping in your set, then mastering probably won't be able to help you. When recording your set, you have to pay special attention to the volume level, peaks above 0db are forbidden.
Help! My DJ Set needs Audio Restoration
If technical problems occurred during the recording of your set, your recording is probably still salvageable. Click noises, humming, crackling, or clipping artifacts can be removed from your audio material even after the fact.
However, the final quality depends on how extreme these problems occurred in your recording. If your set was recorded completely overdriven, there might not be much left to recover your Audio material. But this has to be decided case-by-case after inspecting the recording.
If you want to de-click your recording or remove crackle (de-crackle) and hum (de-hum), then feel free to add the Audio Restoration option.
Want to order a DJ Mix Master?
- Very important: do not record your set too loud. Make sure that the loudest parts of the set are between -3 and -6db.
- Ideally, you should save your DJ mix as a 24-bit wav. File with 44.1khz.
- Then click on "Master DJ Mix now" and complete the order.
- During the order process, you add the download link for your mix. Use Wetransfer.com for this.
- After the order is completed, I will get to work as soon as possible. After 2-4 days, you will get your mastered mix back.